Home Medical Kit to care for your child at home with a respiratory virus.
– Acetaminophen/Tylenol (infant or children’s)
– Ibuprofen (Advil, Motrin) if your child is 6 months or older
Saline spray or drops
I recommend the Addipak saline nebules that come in 3 or 5mL because they can be used without an additional suction device
– simple digital thermometer is best
– Temporal Artery thermometer (such as Exergen)
Forehead and ear thermometers are not very accurate.
- any variety for children > 2yo
- PolyVisol contains Vit C for Babies and toddlers
- Culturelle for babies/kids
- Biogaia for babies/kids
- Or other brands with lactobacillus reuteri or GG.
- Honey (buckwheat, Texas Wildflower, Menuca, etc)
- Zarbees for Babies or Children
- Delsym for children 4 years and older
- Vaporub for Babies or adult version for children 4 years and older.
- Saline as noted above
- Afrin Original Nasal Spray – use only for 3 days max, avoid sharing between people
Finger Pulse oximeter – available for < $20 on Amazon (to measure heart rate and oxygen level)
For asthmatic patients: Albuterol, nebulizer, spacer, other regularly used controller meds
For allergy prone children: Antihistamine such as Benadryl, Claritin, Allegra, Zyrtec or generic equivalents
Children with other chronic diseases – ask for a 90-day supply of your current medications from the pharmacy.
Consider an Rx for ondansetron (Zofran) if your child tends to vomit easily.